Content? Check. Now let us help with the rest.
- Quote itBlurb’s client services can help estimate your costs so you can set your fundraising goals.
- Print ItUse offset printing to lower the price-per-unit and make the most of your Kickstarter funds.
- Ship ItLet us handle the storage and shipping. We can warehouse and fulfill the orders to your backers.
I had no idea the Kickstarter campaign was going to be the most rewarding part of the self-publishing process.
Knowledge is Power
Knowing the printing costs helps you know how much funding you’ll need to raise. Here are some rough estimates of how it works. (Prices don’t include shipping, tax, and proof copies.)
5×8 in. Paperback Trade BooksText-focused books for novels and poetry
Example prices for a Trade Book, 252 pages:
- One copy at $4.77 per copy
- 100 copies at $4.05 per copy
- 500 copies at $3.81 per copy
- 1000 copies at $3.81 per copy
8×10 in. Hardcover Trade BooksGreat for cookbooks and graphic novels
Example prices for a Trade Book, 100 pages:
- One copy at $22.79 per copy
- 500 copies at $17.67 per copy
- 1000 copies at $12.79 per copy
- 5000 copies at $5.33 per copy
10×8 in. Hardcover Photo BooksPerfect for Coffee Table Books
Example prices for a Photo Book, 152 pages:
- One copy at $66.99 per copy
- 500 copies at $37.79 per copy
- 1000 copies at $25.01 per copy
- 5000 copies at $14.00 per copy
See how they did it
Peanut Butter or Jelly: A Story About Taking Turns (Or Not)
by Deborah Kelson
One of many unique children's books self-published via Blurb, this hugely successful Kickstarter staff pick is a great example of using crowdfunding to self-publish. Kelson is using the funds to cover the offset print run, as well as the cost of shipping book orders.
Cramp, Slash, and Burn
by John Scarpati
Blurb's flexible printing platform allowed this successfully-funded Kickstarter project to offer different backers limited editions and various book sizes depending on the reward tier. And with print on demand, Scarpati's iconic photographs of the '80s California punk and glam scene are still available to any fan.
Fourneau is a great example of a product funded on Kickstarter that offered a content publication as a reward. Printed in our economy magazine format, the publication doubles as a recipe magazine and companion piece, complete with backstory, to the new wondrous bread oven.
50 Books | 50 Covers
by Design Observer
The longest running design competition in the United States, 50 Books | 50 Covers is taking its winning book design concepts to the pages of a book that will accompany an exhibition in New Orleans. To make this possible, the competition host—Design Observer—is using Kickstarter to raise funds and using Blurb for offset printing.